· 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
· 1 pint strawberries, rinsed, hulled, quartered, and mashed with a fork
· 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
· 1 teaspoon baking soda
· 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 1 cup sugar
· 2 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan. In a small saucepan, bring strawberries to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt; set aside. With an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar, and eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture alternately with 1/3 cup water, beginning and ending with flour. Fold in reserved strawberries.
3. Scrape batter into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour (tent with foil after 45 minutes if top is getting too dark). Cool in pan 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges; invert onto a rack. Reinvert; cool completely.
It calls for fresh strawberries, but you can substitute thawed frozen berries. Softened cream cheese is a delicious spread.