- Oil, for frying
- 4 green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs (found in the chinese food section)
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Pinch paprika (optional)
- Buttermilk Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
First make the buttermilk dipping sauce and refrigerate.
Next, In a deep-fryer, preheat oil to 350 degrees F.
Season tomatoes, on both sides, with salt and pepper. Place flour and garlic powder in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, beat eggs with the milk. In another dish, mix bread crumbs with cayenne and paprika. Dredge tomatoes through the flour, then the eggs, and then through the bread crumbs. Add only a few pieces to the fryer at a time, so they can cook evenly, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve with Buttermilk Dipping Sauce:
Buttermilk Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 scallions, sliced thin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the apple cider and brown sugar. Allow to reduce until thick and syrupy. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
In a medium bowl, add buttermilk, mayonnaise, BBQ sauce and lime juice and whisk well. Add in the scallions and the apple cider mixture. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve with Fried Green Tomatoes.